Miles Davis

Davis is an 11 year old male cocker spaniel that decided to bite off more than he could chew one day. His owners gave him a cooked beef rib bone as a treat, and Miles ran into another room with it. A short while later they looked for the bone, which could not be found. The next day Miles started vomiting, and would not eat his breakfast. He was brought to Hampden Family Pet Hospital where x-rays were performed by Dr. Justin Milizio. 

Although only a small/medium breed, Miles had swallowed the entire bone! As seen in the x-rays, the bone was lodged in his stomach, and was so big that its sharp ends were pushing against the walls of his stomach on both ends. Without surgery the bone would stay stuck in his stomach, perforating his abdominal organs if left unaddressed. Miles was taken to surgery where Dr. Justin removed the bone from his stomach. Although an older animal, the knowledgeable technicians intensely monitored his vital parameters during anesthesia to keep him safe and healthy. Miles did great during and after the procedure and was sent home the following day.

It is important to keep in mind that bones can be dangerous for animals. Bones (especially when cooked) can be sharp, causing internal bleeding and can puncture abdominal organs. Please monitor your animal when chewing on any larger treat, including dental bones, rawhides and other chews, as these can all become stuck in an animal’s stomach if swallowed. It is also important to keep in mind that if your pet is vomiting, it may be an emergency situation and your pet should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.