Baron


“Baron”, a 4 year old, neutered male Weimaraner, presented on July 14th for possible ingestion of an entire package of Trident gum. His owners brought him in within 30 minutes of ingestion. We induced emesis (vomiting) and found several sticks of gum in the vomitus. His blood sugars and liver function were monitored throughout the day and the following morning. We are happy to report that Baron did well but not all dogs are as lucky.

Xylitol, a sugar substitute sweetener, is present in many products, including sugar- free gums, candy, and foods. In humans, xylitol is absorbed slowly and has little to no effect on blood sugar levels. However, in dogs, xylitol is absorbed quickly and causes a profound drop in blood sugar (hypoglycemia). It can also cause severe liver damage resulting in liver failure and death. Based on information provided by some manufacturers, the Animal Poison Control Center has deduced that the quantity of xylitol in one piece of gum can potentially cause a low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) in a 20 pound dog. We recommend keeping sugar-free gums high up in cabinets and not leaving it around for easy access. Many dogs tend to find these treats in purses, jacket pockets and counter tops.